As soon as a mother reaches 39th week her pregnancy is known as full term. It means that a baby is ready to arrive in this world at any time. They are fully grown and have very less chance of developing any complications.
Baby at 39 Weeks
Following developments can be noticed in a baby at 39 weeks pregnancy:-
- Brain of a baby is still at a developing stage and it has become 30% bigger compared to a month ago. This development continues till a baby is three years old
- Layer of fat underneath a baby is still growing but it is in final stage of growth. Thick deposit of fats on blood vessels gives a chubby and smooth appearance to a baby and at this time his skin starts turning to whitish in color. New cells in skin start forming as older skin is being replaced by one under it.
- Endocrine system starts preparing for birth by releasing extra stress hormones. These hormones are vital as they help a baby to manage its internal-organ functions after birth.
- Lungs, nervous system and brain continue to grow and develop. In 38th week of pregnancy lungs were producing surfactant and in 39th week they continue doing so to make sure that air sacs in baby are not sticking together after his birth.
- Nutrients and antibodies are supplied by placenta to an unborn child to fight against infections and disease after birth. He continues to receive more antibodies after breastfeeding
- At 39th week a baby is 50.8 cm or 20 inches long and he weighs around 3.29 kg or 7.25 pounds.
- During this week baby’s head becomes engaged in pelvis and he is ready for delivery
- In cases, where a baby is in breech or transverse position and an ECV has failed to turn its birth position, doctors may advise C-Section in this week for delivery of a baby.
- AS a baby reaches his average weight, he either stops or slows down weight-gain.
Recommended Link: 37 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms, Baby Weight, Ultrasound: What to Expect
39 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms
Following symptoms are generally noticed in pregnancy at 39 week:-
- Breasts leaking colostrums
- Frequent urination
- Mood swings leading to depression
- Frequency in bowel movement
- Varicose veins
- Stretch marks
- Itchy skin
- Sore throat
- Joint pain
- Back pain
- Leg cramps
- Pelvic pain
39 Weeks Pregnant Signs of Labor
Following are signs of labor during 39th week of pregnancy:-
- At least 5 or more than five contractions every hour, lasting for 30-70 seconds. These contractions do not fade away even if position is changed
- Any change in vaginal discharge
- Spotting or bleeding
- Nausea (Morning Sickness)
- Throbbing pain in lower back
- Abdominal cramps
- Watery discharge
- Losing mucus-plug
39 Weeks Pregnant Ultrasound
A regular Ultrasound scan performed in pregnancy at 39 weeks shows a baby with chubby cheeks and fuzzy hair. He looks exactly same like he would look after birth.