When you’re 4 months pregnant, which falls in the second trimester of pregnancy, most of your baby’s physical organs have developed e.g. limbs, hair, eyelids eyebrows. The baby is around 11.5 cm at this time and your belly will get bigger and the baby bump will start to get visible. You will experience physical and emotional changes which are notable. At this stage, a doctor will have to conduct an ultrasound for fetus examination.
4 Months Pregnant Ultrasound
Ultrasound scan will show that your baby’s facial features have developed and are more defined . the lips, nose, eyes and forehead are visibly developing in their proper place. At this stage, your sonographer should be able to detect your baby’s gender as the external genital organs have developed already.
The baby’s health can be assessed by the doctor by using a Doppler device to check the fetal heartbeat. Through the ultrasound, Major physical defects can also be detected at this stage.
4 Months Pregnant Symptoms
At this stage, most of your early pregnancy signs have probably gone but you should not worry if you still experience lingering sings of insomnia, dry mouth, morning sickness and loss of appetite which tend to be more severe in twin pregnancies as a result of high levels of progesterone and estrogen. Other common symptoms are;
- Enlarging of breasts
- Back and Pelvic Pain
- Hip and Joint Pain
- Round ligament pain
- Muscle and joint aches
- Breathlessness (as a result of pressure put on the diaphragm by the growing uterus)
- Mood swings and constant irritability
- Increased vaginal discharge
- Nose bleeding and bleeding gums
- Dry itch skin especially around the belly
- Dry itchy sensitive eyes (as a result of allergies or pregnancy hormones)
- Cold and flu
- Gas and flatulence
- Forgetfulness i.e. pregnancy brain
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Weight gain
- Getting Tired easily
- Frequent urination
- Excessive production of mucus and saliva
- Dizziness or light-headed feeling
- Superficial varicose veins on chest, breasts and abdomen as a result of blood flow increase
- Facial pigmentation
- Development of the Alba line-a brownish line on the abdomen that is noticeable from the navel to the bikini line. The Alba line will disappear after childbirth.
4 Months Pregnant Baby Developent and Baby Movement
4 Months Pregnant Baby Development will have you feeling slight sensations along your lower abdomen, this is called quickening. you will feel things like fluttering or bubbles along the abdomen. Once you experience quickening, you can write the date down and give it to your doctor as this can be used to determine the baby’s due date.
The baby will also be developing behavioral patterns. When you are awake and moving around they may sleep but when you decide to rest ,they wake up and start moving. At 4 months pregnant, you should be able to experience an average of four or more movements in an hour. A sudden decrease in movement signifies that the baby isn’t okay and you should therefore contact your doctor immediately. The baby can also yawn, make faces, stretch and suck their thumb.