What is a Pregnancy Test?
Fertilized eggs implant itself on walls of uterus within twelve days of fertilization. At this point, production of hormone Human chorionic Gonadotropin takes place at a rapid rate by egg cells. The hormone reaches its peak by end of twelfth week as it has capacity to increase at a very high rate. It is sensible to undergo a pregnancy test, as it is a confirmation of presence of hCG hormones and upcoming child inside a body.
Numerous Pregnancy Tests And Their Accuracy
Endorsement of pregnancy is possible through different types of pregnancy tests. Some of tests for sanctioning a pregnancy are as follows-
Urine test – Pregnancy tests with help of urine are very common with successful results at either home or at a clinic of a doctor. Nearly ninety seven percent of accuracy is possible in urine tests done at one’s residence. It is possible to take a pregnancy test even on actual date of missed period but is sensible to wait for a minimum of seven days so that results are conclusive. A very important fact about home kit is that every instruction on the kit must be followed religiously to get perfect results. It is worthwhile to take a home pregnancy test in early morning, as urine at that time is concentrated.
- Pregnancy kit includes a dipstick or a test strip. Dipstick functions by plunging it in collected urine sample, whereas, test strip works by holding it under a urine stream. Both test strip and dipstick will change its color if test is positive, thus confirming pregnancy.
- Some pregnancy kits have wells inside a test device. During this test, urine is firstly collected in a vessel and then a few drops are dropped inside the well with help of a dropper. Color changes if results are positive.
Accuracy of urine tests– Although ninety-seven percent of tests conducted are accurate but still there is a margin for error in first response pregnancy test. Some instances where result may be false are as follows-
- If test is conducted before requisite time
- If urine is not of early morning time
- If instructions have not been followed properly
Blood tests – Although accuracy rate of blood tests is higher than urine tests, but most women prefer urine tests as early pregnancy tests because blood test is possible only in a lab or a clinic. Possibility of detecting early pregnancy is higher in such tests. Tests can be conducted within seven days of missed period but receiving the results take a bit longer. Blood tests are of following types-
- Quantitative Human chorionic gonadotropin test – Possibility of detecting pregnancy is higher in this test even with low levels of hormonal changes. Detection of Ectopic pregnancy is likely through this test.
- Qualitative Human chorionic gonadotropin test determines the presence of hormones after a minimum of ten days of a missed period.
Accuracy of blood tests – Blood tests answers the question how accurate are pregnancy tests quite successfully as they tend to give higher accuracy results.
Ultrasonography is a testconducted In order to visualize the state of fetus after a minimum period of four to five weeks after missed period. It is able to detect the date of pregnancy and heartbeat of baby after seven weeks.