Vitamin C During Pregnancy
As our body is unable to store vitamin C, it is advisable to supply this nutrient on a daily basis for development and growth of a foetus during pregnancy. This water-soluble vitamin also keeps the body disease free and healthy. Vitamin C and pregnancy have a close connection as it prevents anemia by increasing absorption of iron during these times.
Importance of Vitamin C During Pregnancy
Following are some advantages of taking proper amounts of vitamin C in pregnancy:-
- Vitamin C is vital during a pregnancy as it takes care of both mother and unborn child because of its antioxidant properties that protects numerous cells from any sort of damage.
- It also goes by name of Ascorbic Acid as it continues to repair tissues and heal various wounds.
- Vitamin C is indispensable in providing a boost to immune system.
- Sometimes, doctors recommend dosage of vitamin C for curing ailments like cold and for maintaining healthy skin.
- Vitamin C in pregnancy is important,as it is essential for production of Collagen, a cartilage component needed for growth of bones, tissues and tendons.
Read More About: Vitamin D Deficiency During Pregnancy
Deficiency of Vitamin C During Pregnancy
If a body is unable to receive sufficient amounts of vitamin C during pregnancy, it may lead to following consequences-
- Deficiency in having vitamin C may result in damage of Capillary veins and it often causes bleeding in gums.
- In some cases, absence of required amounts of vitamin C can result in complications in the brain of foetus.
- Insufficient contents of vitamin C leads to a case of scurvy.
- Lack of vitamin C for pregnancy is easily detected by slow-healing wounds, dryness of skin and brittle hair.
Over Dose of Vitamin C
A doctor recommends a daily intake of eighty-five milligrams of vitamin C during pregnancy. This is possible by eating lots of green vegetables and fresh fruits and hence, added supplements are not necessary. However, in some cases, an excess of vitamin C in pregnancy is consumed resulting in adverse complications like:-
- Too much Vitamin C pregnancy maximizes chances of preterm birth.
- An excess dose of vitamin C often leads to diarrhea in pregnancy.
- Surplus of Vitamin C causes cramps, bloating and gas.
- Side effects of excessive vitamin C results in numerous symptoms like nausea, headaches, tiredness, gut blockage, rashes, insomnia, and hot flushes.
- During pregnancy it increases risk of high-blood pressure.
- If an expecting mother is already a diabetic patient then an increased intake of vitamin C maximizes chances of high levels of blood sugar.
- In most cases, it leads to stones in kidney.
- Supplements of vitamin C must be stopped if a pregnant lady is suffering from gout.
- Vitamin C overdose pregnancy can result in offspring with scurvy.
Food Items Rich in Vitamin-C
It is necessary to ensure Vitamin C Pregnancy by eating a well-balanced diet at regular intervals. It is possible to do so because of a wide variety of food items that include:-
- Citrus fruits like oranges are the richest and most important sources containing maximum amount of vitamin C
- Green leafy vegetables like cabbage
- Cereals having sufficient doses of vitamin C
- Red-bell pepper
- Sweet potato
- Grape fruit
- Green bean