What is Diabetes in Relation To Pregnancy?
When the level of sugar increases in the blood stream during a pregnancy then the person is suffering from gestational diabetes. The sugar level increases because the female body is not producing the required amount of a hormone called insulin. Nearly four to ten percent of the pregnant women suffer from gestational diabetes during their pregnancy.
Symptoms of Diabetes in Pregnancy
It is not easy to detect signs of diabetes during pregnancy at a very early stage, as the symptoms of diabetes during pregnancy are not very common. Generally,the detection of this medical disorder is way before the symptoms occur. Nowadays every doctor suggests tests for diabetes at the very onset of pregnancy as well as during the twenty-fourth and twenty-eighth week of pregnancy. The numerous symptoms of gestational diabetes during pregnancy are as follows–
- A feeling of thirst persists
- Urination occurs more than necessary
- Infections in the urinary tract
- The mouth remains dry
- Continuous feeling of tiredness
- The vision is blurred
- Persistent weight loss
- Vomiting tendency and feeling nausea
Avoiding Diabetes During Pregnancy
How to avoid diabetes during pregnancy is one of the most frequently asked questions by a pregnant women and her family. Prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, with the help of the following methods it is possible to control and avoid symptoms of gestational diabetes during pregnancy to a certain extent.
- Healthy eating habits: It is essential for pregnant women to keep watch over diabetes during pregnancy diet. The menu should include seasonal fruits, whole-grain products, fresh and leafy green vegetables. The food items that contain an excess of fiber content are beneficial for the mother and her unborn child. The meals should be divided in at least five portions for the day, as the mother needs constant diet at regular intervals.
- Caffeine, chocolates and ice creams: There ought to be a reduction in unhealthy eating habits like intake of caffeine and chocolates for the welfare of both mother and the child. Intake of excessive sugar during pregnancy is harmful for both the mother and her baby so the mother should limit the intake of fizzy drinks and try to replace it with sugar-free versions.
- Reducing the stress levels: In order to lessen the levels of stress, the patient can divert her attention towards other leisure activities. Listening to music or reading a good book diverts the mind from unwanted thoughts and relaxes the body to some extent.
- Light physical exercises help the body in easy and comfortable movement. It also controls the levels of sugar in blood. Therefore, doctors recommend activities like swimming, walking and yoga.
- Alcohol and cigarette smoking is very dangerous during pregnancy as it can cause many problems like infection in lungs and other breathing problems in the newborn baby.
Treatment Of Gestational Diabetes During Pregnancy
If confirmed that a woman is suffering from diabetes during pregnancy, then it is advisable to make an appointment both with antenatal and diabetic clinic. The doctors are experienced in handling such cases. Regular check-ups will help in keeping the levels of blood sugar under control so that any unnecessary complications can be avoided.