What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction?
Symphysis pubis dysfunction is a condition during pregnancy where round ligaments stretches to its maximum capacity and result in pelvic pain.
Symptoms of Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction
Symphysis pubis dysfunction symptoms are as follows:-
- Pain is severe and becomes worsened while lifting legs for any reason
- While getting up in morning, it becomes quite impossible to move lower body
- When lying on back, discomfort gets more serious
- It becomes impossible to turn and roll over in bed
- Walking becomes a strenuous activity as movement is difficult through hip bones
- It feels as if pain is shooting up and down legs and buttocks
- While walking a clacking sound is heard near pelvic joints
- Incontinence in urine
Causes of Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction
Some causes of symphysis pubis dysfunction is as follows:-
- The muscles of pelvic area, hips and stomach change their activity suddenly therefore leading to unstable pelvic movement
- Any damage to pelvic area caused previously because of any accident
- Excessive hormonal changes causes stretching and loosening of ligaments and muscles thus leading to destabilizing joints
Must See This Link: Leg Cramps During Pregnancy
Pain Management of Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction
In order to manage this disorder, it is farsightedness to follow certain guidelines, which are as follows-
- Providing enough rest to body
- Lying on sides is advised against lying on back
- It is wise to lift both legs together to provide support
- While walking, it is necessary to maintain correct posture
- When sitting special attention must be on providing support to back by using lots of pillows and cushions
- While travelling in car it is wise to use a small cushion for support
- Avoid sitting straight like a rod to prevent strain in pelvic area
- It is sensible to avoid wearing heel. For minimizing strain on back, it is necessary to wear flat and comfortable footwear.
- Sitting with crossed legs reduces blood flow and causes pain
- Avoid standing for a longer time
Treatment of Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction
Symphysis pubis dysfunction treatment includes numerous methods, as it must suit the requirement of a patient. Some cures are as follows-
- Home remedies – In order to reduce swelling and pain it is advisable to apply ice packs for a maximum of ten minutes on the affected pelvic area
- Physiotherapy – Relaxation exercises and physical therapy is quite beneficial in minimizing pain and increasing the spine, hips and pelvic joint movement. Special attention must be on those exercises that helps in strengthening muscles of pelvic area
- Acupuncture – To reduce extreme pain it is advisable to apply controlled pressure on certain points that are pressure relieving points in body
- Supporting belts for pelvic area- Different pelvic belts like non-rigid belt and firm support pelvic belt are easily available in markets. They help in providing required support and reduce the extremity of the condition. Custom-made corsets are available that are adjusted over abdomen. These are easily worn throughout the day but must be removed while going to bed
- Osteopathy treatment- In order to fight symphysis pubis dysfunction during pregnancy this is an alternative treatment
- Medications – During pregnancy it is not advisable to take oral medicines. In case of severe symptoms and pain, it is best to consult a medical practitioner.
- Homeopathy- It is wise to avoid any oral medications even if they are of homeopathic origin.