What is Round Ligament Pain?
Round ligaments are in pelvic area and its function is to keep uterus in place. During pregnancy uterus starts growing and in order to accommodate it these ligaments start stretching and thickening. Round ligament pain during pregnancy is first felt at the onset of second trimester as ligaments become taut and lengthy thereby pulling on nerve fibers at pelvic area.
Causes of Pain in Round Ligament
Following reasons are some causes of round ligament pain during pregnancy:-
- With added size and weight of unborn child, round ligaments become thin causing them to become tense
- Round ligament starts jerking on delicate structures and nerve fibers thereby resulting in discomfort and pain
- Spasm caused because of cramp or sudden contraction triggers pain. As uterus tends to lean towards right side more than left, pain is more on the righter side of body
- Sudden body movements like moving in sleep might result in pain as ligaments contract involuntarily
- Sudden exercises may lead to round ligament pain during pregnancy
Symptoms of Pain in Round Ligaments
Round ligament pain during pregnancy is uncomfortable but normal because structure of body changes during such a time. Some easily recognizable symptoms are as follows-
- Feeling pain when standing abruptly
- Sudden unconscious movement like rolling over when sleeping
- Excessive laughter
- Coughing can cause pressure on ligaments thus causing pain
- Sudden sneezing movements
Treatment of Round Ligaments Pain
In order to find relief from Round ligament pain during pregnancy it is possible to follow certain home remedies like-
- Applying warmth – Having a mild warm bath will help in relaxation of ligaments thus easing pain to a certain extent. It is necessary to stay away from hot baths as extreme heat can be harmful for baby
- Flexing hips – Bending and thus flexing hips to some extent while laughing, sneezing and coughing are sensible precautions as it avoids stretching of ligaments
- Avoiding abrupt movements – In order to avoid sudden actions it is necessary to change positions slowly and regularly.
- Exercises – Under doctor’s guidance some gentle exercises or yoga movements can be attempted so that stretching becomes easier
- Getting enough rest – One of the primary home remedy for avoiding pain in round ligaments is to take enough rest at regular intervals so that it becomes possible to avoid any undue and excessive pressure on ligaments that are already stretched to its capacity
- Getting a gentle Massage – Consulting a medical practitioner is necessary before attempting a massage. It is sensible to go for a gentle massage as rubbing and massaging will soothe muscles.
- Using pillows between thighs, knees and under belly brings relief to mother as it takes off pressure from ligaments. Pillows especially custom-made for pregnancy purposes are available in market to provide comfort.
Taking any kind of oral medicines can be harmful and it is better to avoid it. Under extreme and persistent pain, doctors suggest use of counter-pain medicines like acetaminophen that are to some extent safe for baby and mother.
When to Call for Medical Assistance
It is better to call for medical assistance in situations where round ligament pain persists and is in tandem with the following-
- Vaginal discharge
- Nausea feeling
- Sudden and severe pain in lower back
A burning feeling while urinating
This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
NOTE: Some of the links in this post might be affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission – at no extra cost for you, which helps us cover the costs for the blog.