What is Acne?
Acne is a condition that occurs on outer layer of skin because of blockage of hair follicles by dead cells of skin. Main characteristics of acne are pimples, whiteheads, greasy skin and blackheads.
Relationship Between Acne And Pregnancy
Acne during early pregnancy is quite normal as numerous changes that body is going through makes the hormones react in different manner. Changes in skin are as customary as changes inside the body. Sometimes women may find themselves with soft, radiant and beautiful skin, whereas some women are unlucky enough as they face various skin problems. Bad acne during pregnancy is generally found on face like forehead, chin and cheeks. Increased hormonal levels can cause cystic acne in areas like scalp, neck, back and chest.
Is Acne a Symptom of Pregnancy?
Acne is believed to be a symptom for pregnancy, although it has not been proved scientifically. Sometimes a pregnant woman may suffer an acne outbreak even before a missed period. However, the appearance of acne is possible in any of the nine months of pregnancy. How to treat acne during pregnancy is a serious problem faced by nearly eighty percent of expectant mothers.
[Read More About: Morning Sickness During Pregnancy: Causes And Cures]
Control And Treatment of Acne
There is no possible method by which hormonal changes in a body can be controlled, similarly an outbreak of acne cannot be avoided, but can be controlled up to a certain extent. Using some of the following precautions can help to control and provide a check to the growing concern of acne.
- Use a cleanser that is mild and is soap-free for face cleaning. A thorough rinsing twice daily is must in and around areas like hairline and jaw. Chances of clogged pores in such areas are higher.
- After cleaning gently pat, the skin dry as rubbing vigorously with towels irritates the skin and results in acne.
- Use moisturizers that are free from any oil.
- Using a sunscreen that is oil-free, while going out in the sun helps in avoiding acne.
- In order to control an outbreak of acne it is sensible to avoid direct rays of the sun. Therefore, wearing protective garments like fully sleeved clothes is beneficial as is wearing hats.
- If a person is having oily hair then regular washing becomes must.
- Use of clean towels, hats and pillowcases is necessary for controlling acne.
Treatment for Acne
Acne treatment during pregnancy is safer through home remedies. As medicines can prove harmful during a pregnancy, it is sensible to avoid oral consumption of any medication. Some home remedies are-
- Application of tea-tree oil can help in removal of acne.
- Apply lemon juice on affected area for fast results
- Acidic qualities of citric fruits like limes help to remove dead cells and clear acne.
- Applying juice of papaya on acne at regular intervals helps its removal.
- Yellow-fleshed fruits like mango and oranges are beneficial in getting rid of acne.
- Rubbing coconut oil on the area can rid of back acne during pregnancy.
- For clearing of acne, women have been using toothpaste since a long time.
- Aloe Vera helps in treating acne during pregnancy.
- Olive and castor oil is mixed in same proportions and then its application on the affected area is sure to give good results.
- Antiseptic properties of honey also soothe skin.