What is Eczema?
Eczema is a condition related to skin that occurs when immune system of a person stops working properly. This medical condition makes skin very dry and by allowing bacteria inside it results in discomfort and irritation. Recognizing Eczema is easy by symptoms like red skin that is blotchy with scaly patches. In most cases, children are more susceptible to eczema.
Eczema and pregnancy
Nearly fifty percent of pregnant women suffer from eczema and that to they experience it for first time during pregnancy. Symptoms of eczema are usually in first and second trimesters. Numerous hormonal changes in body are one of main reasons for Eczema flare up during pregnancy.
Read Also: How to Treat Acne During Pregnancy
Eczema during pregnancy can be either hereditary or can be caused by various other factors like hormonal changes, allergies and even some irritants. It is better to take steps for Eczema prevention during pregnancy, as prevention is any time better than cure. Some preventives are as follows-
- Staying away from things that act as potential irritants is a common precaution. Patient must be in minimized contact with such nuisances that can be anything like wearing a particular woolen or synthetic garment. Certain jewelry like pearls or artificial jewelry also causes minor discomfort in eczema cases. Stay away from pet dander and avoid personal products that may cause irritation.
- Products that are fragranced activate heightened smelling sense and can cause annoyance on sensitive skin.
- Avoiding soap and instead using mild cleanser is an extremely good preventive from dry skin and eczema.
- Using moisturizers at regular intervals can help avoiding of eczema during pregnancy on face, as skin is not dry and cracking any more.
- Spending lots of time in swimming pool, baths and showers can make skin dry and trigger eczema during pregnancy.
- Wearing loose fitting, cotton clothes keeps body cooler and makes life more comfortable, thus preventing this medical disorder.
- Sensible living includes taking extra care of day-to-day clothes by using detergents that have neutral pH and are free from any fragrance. Washing new garments before wearing is necessary to avoid any outbreak of rashes on skin.
- By means of cold compress, it is possible to curb itchiness and discomfort as scratching can lead to bleeding and worsening of existing condition.
- Staying calm, collected, and diverting attention from inflammation helps in avoiding discomfort to a certain extent.
- In order to keep skin free of eczema it is sensible to keep Indoor temperature at a comfortable levelso that sweating and discomfort can be avoided.
How to Treat Eczema During Pregnancy
If a patient is suffering from eczema during pregnancy, a visit to doctor becomes a priority as he/she is one who can be a guiding force during this time. In some cases, it is easy to avoid extreme discomfort from eczema by taking few preventive methods. While in other cases, medical assistance becomes necessary for eczema treatment during pregnancy. Some cures and treatments are as follows-
- Usage of various topical steroids is safe when they are under guidance of medical practitioner. Usage of steroid creams is necessary in limited quantities and for short duration to avoid any complications.
- Even though oral medications are available in market, but doctors are hesitant to advise its usage until and unless eczema is of extreme case.
- It is better to use natural remedies like application of coconut oil, healing homemade salves and cod-liver oil to provide relief.