What is Caffeine?
Caffeine is a naturally produced drug and works as a stimulant for human body. Although regular usage does not threaten well-being of a person, but still it is addictive because caffeine withdrawal can lead to irritability, headache, depression and lack of concentration. Daily intake of caffeine minimizes the chances of pregnancy and if pregnant can lead to severe consequences for both mother and baby. Sometimes the aftereffects results in even still birth.
What is Permissible Limit of Caffeine During Pregnancy?
How much caffeine is safe during pregnancy is one of most frequently asked questions universally. No one is sure whether it is truth or fiction that consumption of caffeine during pregnancy can cause serious repercussions for fetus. According to medical association, caffeine is safe if taken in very moderate quantities. Permissible limit for an intake of caffeine during pregnancy is less than two hundred milligrams per day. Although one is unable to find any overwhelming evidence for being contradictory but keeping a safe side it is advisable to either limit or stop the consumption of caffeine during pregnancy.
Which food items includes an intake of Caffeine
It is a myth amongst the people that caffeine is only in coffee. Instead, traces are available in following food items-
- Coffee has highest amount of caffeine.
- Tea in all capacities whether average blend, instant or green have small amounts of caffeine content.
- Soft drinks including cola and diet cola have caffeine.
- Cocoa products like hot cocoa mix, milk chocolate and chocolate milk have some amount of caffeine.
Effects of caffeine intake in pregnancy
There are Numerous effects of caffeine during pregnancy some of them are as follows:-
- Caffeine is a diuretic and a stimulant as its consumption increases pressure of blood vessels.
- Feeding caffeine in our body increases the heart rate that can have an adverse effect on pregnancy.
- Too much caffeine during pregnancy generally maximizes urine production. Therefore, frequency of visiting toilet increases and can result in reduced levels of body fluids. This can also lead to dehydration in some cases.
- It is not possible for growing baby to handle the caffeine intake during pregnancy. As its rate of metabolism is, still under progress it is unable to metabolize amount of caffeine consumed.
- Even moderate amounts of caffeine can change movement pattern of baby during third trimester of pregnancy. As caffeine works as a stimulant, it keeps baby awake therefore resulting in disturbed sleep for mother. This is one of the main reasons of why is caffeine bad during pregnancy.
- Drinking of high quantities of caffeine in any form restricts growth of baby in the mother’s womb.
- How much caffeine is OK during pregnancy is debatable but higher levels of intake can result in lower weight of baby during birth. Lesser weight can cause various other problems in health of a baby later.
- Sometimes usage of high doses of caffeine can result in congenital malformations.
- Caffeine consumption during pregnancy can lead to a case of miscarriage.
It is assumed that the intake of caffeine can pass on to breast milk in very marginal quantities. The mother unknowingly passes it to her baby through nursing. These babies have trouble in finding undisturbed sleep.