Thirty-Fourth Week of Pregnancy: Week by Week
When a woman reaches 34th week of pregnancy, it means that she has almost completed her eighth month and is only a week away from stepping in crucial ninth month. In case of preterm birth, survival chances of a baby are nearly 98% without any complications.
IN THIS ARTICLE
- What to Expect While 34 Weeks Pregnant
- Your Baby at 34 weeks old
- Your 34th Week Ultrasound
- 34 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms
What to Expect While 34 Weeks Pregnant
Pregnancy at 34 weeks finds uterus of a pregnant woman at least 5.5 inches above her bellybutton. Uterus sits high on abdomen and a baby finds himself a bit cramped for space inside a womb. It will start lowering in later weeks to prepare for childbirth. At this time a mother gains at least a pound every week and most of this weight gain goes to a developing baby.
Your Baby at 34 weeks old
Following changes are seen in a baby at 34th week of pregnancy:-
- Uterus walls gradually become thinner and so light can easily enter inside. At 34 weeks a baby can easily distinguish between night and day. He now has a distinctive schedule for sleep and is also mature enough to sleep with eyes closed and wake up with eyes open.
- With ever-growing layer of fat, an unborn baby takes on the appearance of a newborn baby. His skin is smooth and cheeks are round giving him a plump appearance.
- 34 weeks pregnant baby weight is nearly 4.7 pounds or nearly 2 kg and his/her length is 18 inches.
- Lungs and central-nervous system of a 34 weeks fetus is nearly developed to full capacity. In case of preterm birth he/she is capable of surviving on its own. It is sensible to provide external support for respiration at this stage
- Reproductive organs are mostly in place during pregnancy at 34 weeks. Testicles move towards scrotum from abdomen in male fetus. In rare cases if a male child has undescended testicles during birth, then it moves to proper place within a year.
- Increased levels of amniotic fluid enables a baby to move easily even in the limited available space in a womb. By this time a baby settles down in its birth position of heads down and folded legs in front of their chest. In case a baby is in breech or transverse position it is better to consult a doctor.
Recommended Link: 33 Weeks Pregnant Fetus, Baby and Fetal Development
34 Weeks Pregnant Symptoms
Although every pregnancy is unique in itself, some of the symptoms during 34th week of pregnancy are similar. Following are some of these symptoms-
- Pregnancy hormones start decreasing production of tears during this period and results in irritation and dryness in eyes and blurred vision
- False alarm of labor as uterus suddenly tightens for a few seconds
- Pain in back, tailbone, joints, inner thighs and groin
- Hot flashes
- Itchy skin
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Leaking urine
- Frequency in urination
- Emotional changes
- Varicose veins
- Stretch marks
Your 34th Week Ultrasound
An Ultrasound performed in 34th week of pregnancy helps a doctor in knowing the exact position of a baby. Ultrasound also helps in identifying any complications like low-lying placenta.
This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
NOTE: Some of the links in this post might be affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission – at no extra cost for you, which helps us cover the costs for the blog.