Third Trimester of Pregnancy Week By Week
Third trimester is the last pregnancy phase and emotionally and physically challenging for a woman. During this time a baby gains weight and his organs and functions are complete.
3rd trimester pregnancy starts at seventh month and ends after ninth month when a baby steps out of his mother’s womb. Weeks 27th to 30th are included in seventh, weeks 31st to 35th are in eighth and 36th till 40 onwards are included in ninth month of pregnancy.
What to Eat During Third Trimester of Pregnancy
A mother knows that a proper diet is necessary for a hassle free pregnancy. A baby is dependent on his mother for nutrients and it is up to a mother to eat healthy diet. His brain, bones, organs, lungs and eyes are at developing stage and they have extra nutritional needs. There are so many food items and it becomes difficult to choose any. Some vital items to be eaten during third pregnancy are as follows-
- Protein rich food- A baby requires proteins for development of tissues and muscles. Most protein-rich food has high contents of zinc and iron that helps in preventing preterm delivery and low-birth weight. Such items are beef, turkey, green salads, pork, chicken and beans
- Eggs- These are very healthy as they aid in cell functions, memory development and overall growth. Eggs can be eaten as omelets, boiled or scrambled
- Salmon- Salmon is very healthy as it is rich in Omega-3. It will help development of brain and nervous system.
- Nuts- This are good option for snacks and they contain protein, fiber and fats
- Fruits- Fresh fruits are always healthy for mother and her baby. Doctors advise against eating papaya and pine apple during pregnancy and besides them a mother can eat any fruit she desires
- Fresh vegetables- This are best for a baby especially green ones as they provide necessary nutrients
Third Trimester of Pregnancy Symptoms
By the time third trimester of pregnancy arrives a woman starts aching all over. She feels tired and is now waiting eagerly for her due date. Symptoms intensify during this period and growing uterus puts undue pressure on a mother. Some common pregnancy symptoms of third trimester are as follows-
- Pain in hips, thighs, knees and groin
- Frequent urination
- Leaking urine is a common problem towards the end of third trimester
- Tailbone pain
- Stretch marks near abdomen, thighs and breasts
- Braxton-Hicks contractions
- Pain in Round ligaments
- Pain in back area
- Itchy skin around breasts, thighs, and abdomen
- Breasts leaking a thick fluid colostrums
- Gas and Constipation
- Sore throat
- Mood swings
Third Trimester of Pregnancy Ultrasound
During a third trimester a doctor may advice an ultrasound. This scan shows baby’s heartbeat and heart rate. It also helps in measuring his height so that a doctor can know the rate at which growth is occurring.
At the start of third trimester, a scan shows a baby with different facial expressions and moving his limbs. By the end of third trimester, he looks exactly same as he would after birth. A scan at this time also shows exact birth position of a baby.