First Trimester of Pregnancy Week by Week
A baby’s development and growth actually depends on first trimester. This period starts from first day of last periods or menstrual cycle and it continues till 13th pregnancy week. Generally first three months of a pregnancy come under first trimester with first four weeks in first month, next four weeks in second month and last five weeks in third month.
First Trimester of Pregnancy Precautions
It is necessary to take an appointment with an obstetrician as soon as a woman finds about her pregnancy or has doubts about it. Generally a doctor suggests first prenatal check-up to be scheduled before 8th week. In case, a mother is having morning sickness or other discomforts a visit must be arranged as soon as possible.
- A prenatal visit includes calculating due date, examining medical history of a patient and checking on embryo and expectant mother. Certain precautions are necessary during the first trimester as an embryo has not properly embedded inside a uterus and there is always a risk to pregnancy.
- Basic development of nervous system in a baby starts in first trimester. For a healthy baby it is necessary to take the prescribed folic-acid supplements and prenatal vitamins. As this is time of high risk for defects in neural tubes one must avoid drugs, caffeine and alcohol.
- Exercise during first trimester of pregnancy is generally not advised but one can follow relaxation techniques. Although travelling and flying are considered safe during first trimester but it is better to consult a doctor as every pregnancy is unique in itself.
First Trimester of Pregnancy Development
After fertilization, an egg starts travelling through fallopian tube to implant itself on uterine walls. It is here that he undergoes development process to become an embryo, next a fetus and lastly a baby.
In 5th week of first trimester the three layers of embryo starts developing in different body parts and organs. By the end of first trimester all major organs are in place. Body tissues develop in to legs and arms, pancreas start producing insulin, liver starts secreting bile and ovaries and testes are growing depending upon the sex of a baby.
First Trimester of Pregnancy Symptoms
During first trimester, signs and symptoms of pregnancy are at its peak. A first symptom that a mother faces is nausea and it may continue with vomiting. Morning sickness generally lasts till end of first trimester and it can cause fatigue and tiredness. Sometimes this symptoms start even before a missed period is noticed. Tenderness in breasts and tendency to urinate frequently are common signs of first trimester.
Other common symptoms in first three months are as follows:-
- Cravings for certain food items
- Aversion towards certain food items
Smelling sense in first trimester is at its peak as it results in worsening of nausea and often leads to vomiting. An increase in levels of hormones like progesterone and estrogen leads to emotional outbursts and mood swings. In case of severe pain in back, extreme nausea and bleeding during first trimester of pregnancy, it is advisable to consult a doctor.